Tuesday 17 July 2007

Threads and themes

I think what I am doing is following a thread.
Brian Street gave me that quote about the turtle and the fish and the thread started with Malinowski, Argonauts of the Western Pacific (Function) and then to meaning which Brian now says is in Pocock's Introduction to Social Anthropology which describes the shift in British Social Anthropology from the functional focus of Malinowski on the cargoes just as cargoes carrying stuff nothing more (Kate's just sheep pens) to the focus of people like Mary Douglas on pollution in Purtiy and Danger which is on the meanings generated by household objects (Steve's focus on flooded artefacts maybe).

I suppose I am trying to encourage a thread in the project which is about the ethnographic project, what it is and what it means for artists.
The turtle and the fish is the ethnographic space - it is really a thinking tool which is what Kate wanted.
It is about saying we are in this water, swimming around, what if we went on dry land?
Hope it helps. Don't want to confuse you all.

1 comment:

spodsheff said...

Yes this is helpful Kate the ethnographic lens makes much more sense to me in terms of value - The artist lens is tarnished by middle class cultural imperialism structured around outdated notions of Aesthetics and I find the discourses flat and feeble and elitist and perhaps I should hang up my conceptual toolbelt pack it in and do something useful like Witgenstien. Had a funny day today will blog about it tommorow.