Thursday 5 July 2007

Beans sausage and chips

Well made it to the blog third time lucky. I too enjoyed yesterday and the day is now mythologised. Louise you should not have role envy we all travel different paths and yesterday as I'm sure you realise is not a normal day for us most days we bash our heads against numerous educational projects which slip through our fingers like dust.

I've had a very busy day today and developed a conceptual piece of work which I will now unfold. It came to me last night while eating my tea and I'm really happy with it as it traverses hi art ontology and rhizomatic practices. I will call it three fakes and an authentic. So building on the idea of the motif which evolved from the "This is This bullet statement made by Robert denero in the dear hunter I have combined this with something kate said about the tautological nature of drawing and developed a piece of work around Egg and chips and beans and sausages which of cause is the modern archetypical meal.

So in simple terms inspired by the plated tudor meal in the box which was in the kitchen at artemis I started thinking about presenting a modern meal to bring the collection up to date. Clearly this had to be eggs sausage chips and beans. I'd been drawn to these items because they are clearly in many ways very realistic but do not look real. so in terms of semiotics they are symbols of the things they represent but they don't look like symbols they look like an attempt at realism David would use a big word which begins with an M which means copying nature but I cant remember it or what comes after m so I can't look it up - David if you look at this remind me what it is.

So I started thinking about what the boxes were used for - disruption and habitous - freezing defrosting and refreezing in a cycle and thought about Kate p s Canoes which she kept refering to in a fragment- like a 2 sentance history of british anthropology which made lots of sense and no sense. And I decided that if I could make a loan box which had three representations of eggs chips beans and sausages it would be the modern meal but could be used in schools to talk about notions of the real and the copy and possibly the hyperreal as a concept but as a materiality not as an idea which I think would be a new funtion and a new use for the artemis collection changing the habitous to create a new object in a new context which would have authenticity linked to funtion rather than meaning.

So this morning I rang my friend who makes film props and we are going to speak to special effects people and together fashion a Hyper real plate of eggs chips and beans and sausages and chips - this is the key to the work - I then thought I'd buy a jokeshop plated breakfast and a seaside rock breakfast. I'd commision artemis to make a lones box which would bring the item into the collection and thats as far as I got.

To extend the idea of crossing domains I've commisioned an MC to rite and record a rap about Sausage egg and beans but he is Vegan so says he will have to do Veg sausage and no egg. I've also commisioned a photographer to capture the most realistic picture he can of the above meal.

So I think I was spured into action yesterday I'm happy with this as a concept but welcome suggestions it hinges on our ability to make a hyper real meal which will not be easy but perhaps it may be about the journey - STEVE

2 comments:

Kate said...

Canoes = Malinowski (function)
Taboo items = Mary Douglas (meaning)
Eggs beans and Sausage = tea
Think this is v. clever.
Am having Thyme cafe inspired risotto with red peppers = posh Londoner

spodsheff said...

My brother once made me squid Ink Risotto - I called it Shrek food - make sure the onions not foot skin
steve