Thursday 12 July 2007

Floods and mearsures


Synergy and lenses I thought as I'd talked about floods and rulers I should but a picture of my Pitch Pine game keepers flood measure stick. It's interesting but I'll stand corrected by Kate G who comes from a long line of Dutch Dam builders who reclaimed the land of lincolnshire only to loose it 100 years later to the rising waters. But it appears to be marked in a relative scale and it's decimal from a time of feet and inchs - the local production of a measure to be used localy and by an individual seems to fit with the idea of specific use tied to specific individual. I'm going to make some egg beans and chips lottery cards. Asked a sound artist to make a soundscape about eggs beans sausage and chips and he said no - it was my first failure but I did learn that I need to present things differently to different people.

3 comments:

kate g said...

he did say no, but was joking, but was confused by what you meant. I explained and asked him again and he said yes. I said make a piece of sound that would represent your idea of what egg and chips sounded like - he said it would sound 'fat'. nice response i thought

kate g said...

have been trying to think of local [perhaps vernacular] items for measuring, things we [my family ] produce to measure with, but currently to no avail, all i can think is that from the tip of my fingers to my nose if i turn my head away from the extended finger tips is a metre! [this is handy to know in a fabric shop or when needing a metre when you havent got a tape]. are we always tied tothe offical measures but find our own ways of using them, ie 40 yards is 40 leaping walking strides for me. Not sure where im going with this idea, but would like to see any home made measuring devices, specific to task. Oh- have just thought of one, will be back later with photo

spodsheff said...

The marks on a wall as you plot your childrens height as they grow spring to mind. My grandad used to have nothches cut in a bench for chopping off the tops of spring onions - don't you have things on the farm for sizing produce.