Tuesday 24 July 2007

please help

these 2 images are part of a section in my bloody dissertation!
the round stones as you know are from the farm the other image is of a section of geological samples from artemis - i liked it firstly because it made me think of a landscape all boxed - like a section of the earths crust, but that it looks like a kinda landscape to. The samples are all british and labeled as such. I want to compare/ contrast the two photos, i want to know what people think of these two images - in that what does it make you think in regard to landscape , representation, meaning etc etc but remember and its important you know im from a farm and the first image is things found there. The section is about geology, the transformation of earth, time and growth
Would be good to know what people think , you will be properly referenced! thanks in advance

1 comment:

spodsheff said...

To me the images say a lot about ordering and collecting and keeping things. Landscape for me does not really relate to geology- I don't know much about geology mind and I think we frame the world in what we know. To me your trying to conect the local and personal to the bigger picture - yourself to the outside world through the farm/art and trying to make sence of these relationships - The Miso to the Meta. So the images on their own say - boxing things up and collecting and trying to svae and represent in the case of the farm local knowledge in the shape of artemis learnt knowledge - a material hook into geology. So in a way it's a bit like my story of my grandad pulling the R101 Airship out of it's hanger at Howden I was talking about the points my family conect with history - items in the artemis collection. With the sheers and the stones your doing the same with the farm and the collection. Anyway I'm not sure if this is of any help. Your attempt to capture the landscape riminded me of Shrodingers Cat the idea that as soon as you try and measure something you change it's quantum state through tunneling - as soon as you record your farm in any way it becomes romantic - classical rather than quantum states