Friday 5 October 2007


hey have started making new work and yesterday made this etching - its the contents of one pg tips tea bag - ie a measure of tea for one person. I am interested in the idea of man as a measure but dont want to think in terms of fixed offical measures. So i dont think the the tea bag works because its not personal, also i know a metre on me so i can measure fabric , but better ones are : me dad knows the height barbed wire fence needs to be against himself, his belly button. Or my friend allison knows if the the choke chain fits her head it fits her dog when buying a new one. Does a pinch of salt work ? What am i trying to say or do? spatial maps - man as the measure? How does all this fit my representing the landscape? or the farm. Yes i know it fits in terms of how it looks the dividing of space but what else? DOes it fit as a record of ephemeral things a collection of the unoffical?
Also i was thinking of documenting all the sticks we use on the faarm - the walnutting stick, the cows sticks as seen earlier, the planting things straight stick, So then i suppose why not all the string or rope we use?
I feel confused please post me a comment all we do is talk about bloody steves breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

spodsheff said...

I like the etching - I think we need to talk rather than blog about this - there is something about owning the idea and having a level of confidence about it before sharing. Is there some ingolds influence here the connection between space and the body - Have you heard that thing about all animals having the same number of heartbeats in a lifetime - that poor little shrew.