Friday 5 October 2007

Funny thing this


I've done this thing for the last few years with every piece of work I've produced to try and illicet peoples stories. In the "what were you doing when "exhibition at Rotherham I did the Sep 11th postcards. A woman had written that at the time of the twin towers her daughter was in a coma after giving birth to twins and she was visiting her - high up -in the wards of the Hallamshire hospital next to this card her daughters card read -" I was in a coma- wish I hadn't woken up."

In Pigeon Stories the son a missionaries who had grown up in post war Kenya talked of his affection for the birds which kept hunger at bay and gave him something to do as he hunted in the landscape of his youth.

Which brings me back to breakfast. It seems like everybody has a story about everything like in my seminal piece "Thermos stories" the woman who had broken her fathers treasured thermos and instead of owning up had placed the broken thermos on the edge of a table where she new it would get knocked off and had avoided punishment but learnt about guilt.


Anyway I'm not sure if I can write my dads breakfast story -which is brilliant and involves braziers and shovals and spit and shirt sleeves and broken eggs and gammon and calcium incase Kate uses exclamation marks (I told Kim about this and she said she would like to say to kate"Welcome to my world") but this strand is interesting as provinence is becoming narative and the materiality perhaps is the connection of people to things and this can only happen through lived experience which becomes narrative and we are exploring this- which is good mostly.

No comments: