Friday 5 October 2007

The fourth breakfast


Not happy with the third breakfast discourse I push the boundaries further into the realms of OCD and suggest that perhaps we should shift focus to the highly contentious Fourth breakfast which only exists in the fifth space. Only kidding. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The body as a measure stuff sounds like a really strong idea but you have until now been a little reticent to discus it as a concept (I don't think this can be put down solely to my breakfast obsesion). I think this may be because you have a feeling about something - an idea that this is interesting - it's a very strong and simple focus which has a lot of connections to all the stuff we talk about but I wonder if you think by saying it out loud as words or text you will lesson it. It feels like a seed you need to water and let grow. I think we have both decided that we have to bring things into the world - that this is why we do what we do - I'm not comfortable talking directly about ideas so I wrap them up in irony this is how I've always worked and lived. I don't think you do this but in a way we are both looking for an honesty and a freedom of expression. I don't think I can help you with the work until you make it real I do however think that lots of the stuff which feels like secondary practise like the Aura scoring ' and the picture hanging ideas are free and liberating and quite good. We both have a lot of angst when it comes to making personal practise - I always have had - is this a bit newer for you? - didn't you have a similar thing in Japan? So I don't think we can get very far using the BLOGG to help discuss the actual work it's more about leaving a record - maybe we should do the crit thing at the gallery - both get some stuff to show and then build on the idea of a mid point crit to help us push the thinking a bit further. And I think the etching of the T bag at least it's digital representation looks fantastic and can you run me one off for crimbo. This said maybe Kate could talk about the idea from her perpective as an ethnographer.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I was going to comment using Hymes but ended up posting as the quote works better as a post. But Hymes is what to read, he watched people in the native American communities construct narratives from silence, from repeated experiences.
He tried to get at this notion of thing ness, not adorned by auras.
He said the difference was in the silences.