Sunday 27 January 2008

im still with it

yes i have been absent but have returned, i do read this, but do not always want to comment or have something to say
i am planning in my next visit to artemis to begin to explore the relationship between objects when displayed - juxtaposed etc. But also currently thinking and trying to work out displaying my work , my archive as it were. Im intrested in the relation of the index to the bulk of work, the potential of selection and choice it offers , does it make us too removed or just offer false possibitly. I am trying to write my index, and will post up picture of it later in the week.
Also have introduced the aura scorer pro forma to college, were upon i was laughed at and told it was a travisty to do that to a benjamin text - i said, bollocks lets not get caught up in the heirarchy of a 'revered' text over a functional practical way to understand. I now have to demonstrate it at a seminar!!!!!!!! im thinking i will borrow the box of things steve and i scored one afternoon.

4 comments:

spodsheff said...

This is interesting as the aura scorer is supposed to be a bit funny but in a laugh with rather than at kind of a way. No texts are sacred and if you read the artical the whole thing is about a value system so the scoring fits in well with this - it's a way of looking and connecting and understanding so I think the people who laugh may not of really engaged with the text- Practical philoshy rather than abstract ideas - don't let the bastards grind ya down.

Kate said...

I think the aura scorer is deeply serious and when you first told me about it I was intimidated and got Benjamin out of the library and tried to understand it. Am now seeing it as kind of spin off from the Levi Strauss/Durkheim and Mauss natural symbols kind of stuff ie it divides things neatly, also Mary Douglas does this in her grids and groups in Natural Symbols it is a joke but a generative joke.

kate g said...

thanks your nice friends

Lou said...

Did you know that if you put 'aura scorer' into t'interweb it comes up with this blog! wowwwwww! I agree that if you laugh AT the a/s, it may mean that you don't get it and you may even be a very closed-minded person who has to adhere to rigid perceived 'truths' - where do these socially accepted norms come from and hasn't there always been a role (for those who wish to put their creative potential into action - I'm trying not to say 'artists': a very culturally burdened word) to upend invert and challenge norms. I was meant to blog yesterday to start a discussion of the paper, I didn't coz I was trapped in the 7 circles of hell trying to get a research poster made/printed for a showcase. This is a great example of Corporate Comms, Research Knowledge Transfer and the print shop all working on different perceptions of what was what. Very like yr teachers Kate who didn't see potential of the a/s . Shame (for them). Am I now guilty of intellectual elitism?