Friday 16 November 2007

Sorry I havent blogged for a while



and now I have to go and get Molly from school but just wanted to say I have been writing articles on disappearing objects and museum collections and fake objects including elephants sprayed gold and things you pick up at jumble sales that look valuable but aren't.
I am also writing about bling and gold and how gold is both a core valuable thing and something that is very ephemeral.
Here are some pictures.
Other things I did this week:
I finished Evocative Objects and read Walter Benjamin Art in the Age of Illusion.
It was quite hard.
Is that where the aura scorer idea comes from?
YOu should patent it.

2 comments:

spodsheff said...

Gold is interesting as so much of it is just on the surface of things. I like the evocative object book as it has a real honest - I loved the Benjemen when I first found it in a book next to my toilet but then I discovered he was flavour of the month among arty types and this really put me off a bit but the text is good and not really hard compared to some of your multymodle new London group stuff I've dabbled in which makes me wonder why you said it was hard - was this a concept\phlosophical hardness? I've just read a chunk of a book by Stiener of stiener school fame and this was really interesting and will never become popular with the arty types. Anyway off to the big apple for a week for Champagn and smoked Oysters at grand central station - night time helicopter flight - Romantic walk at sunset across Brookling Bridge - trip to Bronks Zoo - Coney island and coffee in little italy - any new York suggestions should be posted on the blog before 6 Sunday night -

Kate said...

OK my favourite things to do in New York
1. Go to Washington Square and see the jazz and the old men playing chess
2. Go to the Meatpacking district and look at the Hudson river and go to the cutting edge galleries
3. Sit in Bleecker Street on the stone benches and watch people eat cup cakes
4. Go to Moma and see that guy from Sheffield - Paul Morrison and his pictures of the Botanical gardens and wonder why Sheffield is in New York
5. Watch the base ball on 6th Avenue
6. Go to the jazz
7. Go to Central park
You are SO LUCKY
Kim should get her nails done on Green st and go to Vintage shops. Meanwhile you go to the second hand bookstore on Green street and browse.
Have fun.